Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good morning . what was one of the best pieces of advice you were ever given , as a child or adult ?

me , it was from my dad . '; always walk with your head held up and look people in the eyes when you speak to them ';


my hubby said his was '; don't gossip , it will always come back to bite you in the a**, lol . true ! how about your stories ? take care . d.Good morning . what was one of the best pieces of advice you were ever given , as a child or adult ?
';Don't pick your nose in public.';


That one piece of advice from Mum has saved me a lifetime of embarrassment.Good morning . what was one of the best pieces of advice you were ever given , as a child or adult ?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you follow that simple rule, not only will you be rewarded with a high level of self satisfaction and happiness in this world, but it is believed by some that you'll also accumulate Karma type points that will allow you to experience an even higher level of happiness in the hereafter.





If you're ever wondering how kind to be to someone in a particular instance, just ask yourself how many ';happiness points'; you want to accumulate today for your use in the hereafter. Let your answer be your guide.





Keep in mind that there's no need to become obsessed about accumulating points, but then every one of them counts. Just depends on how many you want. Do you want to be happy, or do you want to be deliriously happy in the hereafter? Keep in mind that happy is good, but if you want a degree of happiness that's a cut above that, then you know what you need to do.





If you're curious about point accumulation, click on the link below to read a short account written by someone who was pronounced clinically dead for a number of minutes. What he believes happened to him during the time that elapsed before being revived (or brought back to life) is what his written account is about. I think it's an interesting story. And there are over 1600 other stories at this site if you find this one interesting and want to read more.


.
My Dad always told me to remember that I was never better than any one else but that no one else was better than me. Also when I was pregnant with my first child, my neighbor lady who had 6 kids, use to say to me just remember honey, you were here first. They abide by your rules you don't abide by theirs. Never forget that your the Mother, your the boss.
My mom used to say, ';You've got to have more money coming in than you've got going out.'; I should have sent my mother to Congress.





One of my professional mentors told me. ';Don't worry about people talking behind your back. Count on it.';





My husband (with a strong science background) says, ';You can't fool mother nature. You can argue with her, but you can't win.';
The first was from my mother :Don't trust someone else to take care of you. Get your education %26amp; be able to take care of yourself.


The second best was from my guitar teacher. He told be to develope a poker face so people won't know what you're thinking.
Learn to laugh at yourself before anyone else can and you will never cease to be amused.


You are capable of greater things than you realize..


When angry count to10 before you speak, if VERY angry,100.





All of these when I was a child.
From my granny: always heat the skillet before you put the food in. It will cook more evenly and won't stick to the pan. Since i like to cook and enter cooking contests this has been invaluable.
I'll NEVER FORGET First Sergeant, Otis January, US Army, 1960.


He was my Drill Instructor in boot camp.


He told me ';The longer YOUR HERE, the better IT GET'S'; !


(and I believed him too. I'm soooo dumb !)
';People who gossip to you will gossip about you.';


and


';If you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.';





Heard this good advice from my Grandma when I was a youngster.
I know that a person's greatness is evidence by his deeds and not by his words or feelings, It is the works that have come from us that will speak about us
All I can remember is my mother telling me :


Don't ever trust a man , they want only one thing.


I did not listen of course and was a trusting fool lol..
just before i went abroad to work, I was advised; 'not to sleep with a friends woman' and have seen many tragedies happen to those that did not have this advice
when I first started work mum said always remember friends have friends, she meant don't talk about anyone it will be passed around get back to the person who was talked about
Live life today, as though there may not be a tomorrow.


Smile, or your face will freeze with that sour expression.
My Dad said: Always do the best you can.
LOL, HandyMan!


My parents always told me to not give up. Try and try again until you succeed.
I don't know, unfortunately I did not listen...
Don't put anything in writing you want to keep private, i.e., letters, journal, etc.
Actions speak louder than words.
Minding your own business is the work of a lifetime
If you cant do it in front of your parents dont do it
Sit in front in the classroom.
My Aunt Marge: People are more important than things.





And someone recently: ';There's no fool like an old fool';.


.
I was told never to waste my time on trivial things.


So here I am on YA.



Pay yourself first. To bad I didn't listen!!
I know the best advice I ever gave was when I was a little kid visiting my relatives in Los Angeles. My uncle was driving my dad (and I was along for the ride) around Santa Monica and I said, ';you know, this is where I'd want to live if I was grown up. Dad, you ought to buy land here now while it's still vacant.'; It was just vacant undeveloped rolling hills going all the way down to the beach. My dad, of course, just goes ';yea, like a kid knows anything'; and dismissed me but my uncle did buy land there and made a fortune. And I have felt that if I want to learn something, I can at least try to learn it and age makes no different--learning is not age-related.





One of the best advice (ok, that's not stated correctly but I can't figure out what's wrong there) I ever got was from a professor in college. He had asked the class (this whole big auditorium of kids) to write down 3 things, with the reasons why, we wished we'd done when we were younger (which now sounds so funny, we were only 18 or 19 at the time). I can't remember all the things I wrote but one of them was ';I wish I'd learned how to play the flute'; because I love flute music. Whatever else I wrote impressed him enough to ask me to say after and he told me ';you're never to old to learn new things if you want to.'; And during the college summer break, I borrowed a flute from a friend (had to get it repadded and cleaned up because it was in such bad condition) and taught myself how to play very rudimentary flute. Ok, I'm a lousy musician, have no sense of rhythm, am a real SLOW music reader, but it was fun and didn't matter to anyone but me and for that summer I could play a few very simple tunes on my borrowed flute.
  • last lipstick
  • alvinarf
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment