Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Linux in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, best advice welcome plz?

I've installed MS Virtual PC 2007 on my pc (specs: 1.5Gb RAM, AMD Athlon 64 socket 754 CPU, BarRacuda 160Gb HDD =MID Rate: 683Mbps)


I've tried running the Knoppix Live CD in VPC 2007, but it freezes 80% of the way through the boot sequence. I have also tried Kubuntu KDE 8.0.4, which like the Knoppix runs well as a dual boot, however, the Kubuntu installation aborts immediately saying that it can't run due to the fact that it needs 64/86 architecture, but it has only detected i586 architecture. I'm sure my PC meets the requirements, however I have read mixed reviews of Linux derivatives on MS VPC 2007, but I'm sure there must be a way. I'm currently downloading Mandriva Linux, and I'm hoping I can get it running. I prefer MS VPC 2007, but I also have VM Player installed. Any suggestions? Thanks.Linux in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, best advice welcome plz?
Try VirtualBox, better than M VPC 2007.





http://www.virtualbox.org/





http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads





Also, Virtual machines can only run in 32-bit environment.


From my experience trying to install 64-bit edition of windows ultimate, failed in a virtual environment.


Linux in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, best advice welcome plz?
You'll get better result if you install Linux on it's own partition, after all you'll need only 2 GB for the swap partition, another 2 GB for the root partition and (this is entirely up to you) another maybe 5 GB for your home partition.





Mandriva Linux is very stable and would run fine on your rig but I recommend you to use the Gnome desktop instead of KDE (it's less buggy)





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment