Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Career portfolio. 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?

I am applying for a college coordinator II position. I am making career portfolio. It included:





1.) Letter of Introduction


2.) Resume


3.) College Transcripts


4.) Letters of Recommendation


5.) Reference


6.) Artifacts/ Work samples including sample of a broucher in publisher, a page of class schedule in excel, a page of students records in excel, a 3-5 pages research paper writing sample, as well as books and articles that mention my name/ pictures/ and accomplishment.





Is this a good idea or a bad idea? When should show my portfolio to the interviewers?Career portfolio. 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
Hi there,





It's a FABULOUS idea to have your portfolio. And eveything you've listed is great to have at an interview.





The way to handle it, is not to push it on them. But when you have an opportunity to talk, just casually let them know that you have a portfolio that includes what you've listed, if they'd like to browse through it, and offer to send them an e-copy of anything in your portfolio.





Half of the time when I do this, they don't even ask to see it. But every once in a while, they are impressed I have it, and take a look.





Something I added to my ';interview portfolio'; was my sparkling performance review.





I can tell you that if you push it on them, it will be a turn off. For example, I know someone that during an interview wanted to show us everything in her portfolio, when we really tried just asking her questions, she seemed so determned to show us the portfolio, she seemed anal and closed.





So just let them know what you have in case they want to see it.





When to tell them or show them really depends on the interviewer and the flow of the conversation.





If they give me an opportunity to talk about myself up front, I give a little blurb about my experience, and end it with ';and by the way I have XYZ if you'd like to see it...';.





IF they talk at me for a while, then drive right into questions, I listen then give my answer and again give them the ';by the way, in case you're interested, I did bring my portfolio which has XYZ.';


Don't be offended if they don't want to see it!





Good luck, and great ideas!Career portfolio. 10 points for the best advice. Thank you?
How you come across can be a huge factor in whether you get a job or not. I personally think that having a good portfolio shows initiative, and the drive to work hard at whatever it is you do.





I think you should save some of the very impressive stuff in your portfolio for last. Try to keep it short and sweet though. Keep his or her intrest.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment