Friday, January 8, 2010

What is the best advice you'd give for the next generation? What is the best advice you got growing up?

Do you remember when you were growing up and someone told you something that really stuck in your mind?


There are moments in out life that clearly define who we become or what decisions we make in the future.Do you remember your ';epiphany'; moment?


Based on your past experiences, positive or negative, what advice would you give to the next generation?What is the best advice you'd give for the next generation? What is the best advice you got growing up?
I'm coming from a rather poor family, which had a hard time to finance my studies, but encouraged me to follow my dream: become an archaeologist. They also tought me to love my country and tradition.


I would advise the new generations to study our history, and learn well our language, which is being mistreated and tends to disappear with the invasion of english language and american culture in our lives.


We are Greeks and must be proud of our past and heredity.What is the best advice you'd give for the next generation? What is the best advice you got growing up?
The Steve Jobs speech is great! Thank you. Passed it on to my son too. I knew the first computer guys as I was there,in San Francisco, when computers started, not too long ago, amazingly..! Yes, the ';dots'; somehow connect,...after due work!

Report Abuse



Take care of each other, because if you don't, no one else will.
Well I mostly grew up with my mother,cause my father was a seaman and was often away.She learned me a lot of things.One of which is:don't do to others what you wouldn't like to be done to you.I try to live by this,it's not always easy and i can't say that I'm always succesful in it but I try.


Another thing life tought me (in a really hard way) is this:Always be yourself!No one is important enough so that you will have to change your way of thinking,your ideals,moral etc.


And on a funny note,it's not something i believe in(or on the other hand maybe I do,lol) but it's something my mother used to say very often while I was growing up as a joke and it stuck with me.It's about her and my father's stuff.It went something like this:But honey,don't you know,what's yours is also mine,and what's mine you really shouldn't touch,LOL
My grandfather, used to tell my that a person is not defined by his/her money, status, occupation etc but solely by his/her integrity of character and power of his word.


I live by these words.
I know this is disgusting - but my dad's a true Brit - what can I say????


His best advice was





'Don't wipe your bum on a broken bottle'.





I kid you not! lol - obviously good advice as I've never been tempted to do it!





Thumbs down - you see how different upbringings the Greeks and Brits have - I would get best answer for this in a Brit section! Arh British humour - the best in the world!





I will pass this worldly wisdom to my Greek daughters!





To the answerer above - we were so poor that there was no way we could further our studies! At 16 both my sister and I were sent to work - it was expected - we had to bring money in! We had to have a slice of bread with gravy as there was only enough meat for my dad! But I remember having a great childhood and despite not furthering my education - I am as bright as a shiny new button - own a business and online businesses - I earn more than most of the 'educated' lawyers/architects I know! I'm glad of my upbringing! So I suppose my parents advice of get out to work ------ worked!
Ne'er do owt for nowt.and if you do owt for nowt ..do it for thee sen!!
Know thyself.


Protect yourself.


There is much more advice but here is another good one:


Desiderata: http://www.desiderata.com/desiderata.htm鈥?/a>





Edit: Since you liked it, here is one more then. May be the most important things , values are on Greek ancient ';Rita'; (maxims)


http://www.tetraktys.org/subchoises/elli鈥?/a>





3 more( I promise not to put too many!): -Qui riraz bien qui riraz le dernier! (S/he will ';laugh well, s/he who laughs last), from my beloved grandmother.


-Look to the left , look to the right (depends how traffic goes where u r) , look again to the left, and Then cross the road!, from my father.


-';Spevthe vratheos';! (hasten slowly)
Vote Green Party
My parents told me to finish school in case I had to support myself someday...and oh so true...I am thankful I listened to them this one time in my life...
Do what you will as to not regret not doing it. Do not accept the government in any way as an ally. Have fun and be young!
  • wrinkles
  • beauty
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment